We live in hectic times where everyone can fall behind once in a while. Email piles up in our inboxes and our calendars are filled with meetings leaving us feeling like we have no time to get the actual work done.
While email and meetings are a fact of work-life, here’s some steps you can take to get a better handle on your time:
- Hit the easy stuff first. Getting the easiest tasks out of the way gives you a sense of accomplishment and energizes you.
- Break down big tasks. What can seem insurmountable as a big task will become more do-able when broken down into a series of smaller tasks.
- Avoid multi-tasking. Research has shown that multi-taskers make more mistakes and are less productive than those who focus on a single task at a time.
- Make tomorrow’s to-do list today—before you leave. This relieves some of the stress you might feel in your off-time and sets you up for success the next day.
- Minimize distractions. Block off a period of time on your calendar each day—say, 30 minutes or more if you can swing it—and turn off your phone, disconnect from the Internet, shut your door. Whatever it takes to reduce those distractions that get us off track, just do it.
Used with permission from HR.BLR.com